The first Ireland Woodland Festival, organised by the Western Forestry Co-op, will take place on Sunday the 25th August from 12 noon to 6pm at the Killegar Estate, Carrigallen in South Leitrim in the heart of the Lakeland country.
The Pro Silva Ireland committee are delighted to announce that we have been invited by the Western Forestry Co-op to join the inaugural Ireland Woodland Festival. Pro Silva Ireland will be giving a 20 min talk on continuous cover forestry in the main tent, there will be a Pro Silva Ireland information stand and Pro Silva Ireland members will contribute to the thinning demo discussions. Also, we have a band! Pro Silva Ireland Committee members, Sean Hoskins, Manus Crowley and Jonathan Spazzi will be entertaining the crowds with their music on the day. You’ll see us there, we’ll be wearing new Pro Silva Ireland t-shirts. Do come along and say hello!
All are welcome to the festival and full details and Google map directions are available on the website http://woodlandfestival.ie/
This FREE festival will give you a wonderful opportunity to walk in the woods, learn in the woods and leave with a better understanding of a woodland and its trees. Learn about the broad-leaf & conifer, the differences of both, the varieties of both & the biodiversity of both. See first hand what it means to work in and manage a woodland. Learn how you can earn an income while spending time in nature.
The Killegar estate is a mix of woodland and farmland set on 320 acres and contains old and young native woodland, mature broadleaf woodland with excellent examples of Oak and Beech trees, 22 hectares of conifer Sitka spruce and Japanese larch woodland, commercially planted Ash and 20 small research plots of Sitka spruce, Norway spruce, Oak, and Ash planted in 0.1 hectare blocks.
This is an outdoor rustic woodland festival for people to come and enjoy the woods in all their glory.
The Woodland Festival will include:
- Timber Tasks Tent to include chainsaw sharpening and maintenance, tree planting and maintenance, tree health
- Woodland Talks varying from the environmental importance of trees, to the planting and care of our trees, tree identification, Pioneer Woodlands, Native woodland management, timber mobilisation, wood fuel for energy, forest management etc.
- Woodland Walks on Tree identification and Mycology
- Woodland Demo’s to include: Woodland improvement operations, Small scale extraction, Conifer thinning, Mobile sawmill
- Woodland Games such as pinball all made of wood by Fuinseog Woodland Crafts
- Woodland Craft Area to include charcoal making, wood turning, chainsaw carver, basket weaving, wattle and daub, willow craft
- Family events including a woodland treasure hunt, tree identification, bouncy castles, face painting, DJ
- Local wood-based business will showcase some of their wood products including local sawmills, stake manufacturers, wood chip and firewood
- Woodland Information area to include stands from Tree Council of Ireland, Woodlands of Ireland, Crann, ITGA, Teagasc and the Forest Service
- Market/traders areas for crafts, food and drink along with music to picnic on the terraced lawns at the front of the house
Keep an eye on their Facebook page for more updates
The Woodland festival is being funded by the Forestry Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.