- Membership is made up of forest owners, foresters and others who wish to practice and learn more about ProSilva close-to-nature forestry practice.
- ProSilva Ireland recognises and values the unique history of Irish forestry and its past, current and potential contribution at local, regional and national levels.
- Members are convinced of the need in Ireland for a greater range of management skills amongst foresters and forest owners. Pro Silva Ireland is an all-Ireland organisation, embracing membership from both Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. References to Ireland refer jointly to both jurisdictions.
- The organisation was founded in order to develop and promote ProSilva Principles as an alternative to clear-felling in Irish forestry.
- ProSilva Ireland is a recognised member of the European umbrella organisation ProSilva Europe, which was founded in Slovenia in 1989.
- ProSilva Ireland is a non-profit organisation and is a Registered Charity (Number CHY 16703).
To read more on ProSilva Ireland objectives, structure and strategies click here
ProSilva promotes forest management strategies which optimise the maintenance, conservation and utilisation of forest ecosystems in such a way that the ecological and socio-economic functions are sustainable and profitable.
The general approach to management which is advocated by ProSilva, includes market and non-market objectives, and takes the whole forest ecosystem into consideration.
With reference to sustainability in its broadest sense ProSilva members believe that forests provide four categories of benefit to society. These are:
1. production of timber and other products
2. protection of soil and climate
3. maintenance of ecosystems
4. recreation, amenity, and cultural aspects